Friday, June 19, 2009

No need for bear spray in Alaska

So how much money do you think we have spent on purchasing bear spray? We had I don't know how many people tell us that we had to have some and that we needed to "Watch out for bears everywhere you go". Well let me tell you folks, if you don't want to run into bears just take us hiking with you. Not only will you not spot bears, but you wont spot anything else either. We are like wildlife repellent. Just rub us on your clothes and you wont have to worry about so much as a out of control squirrel. Now mind you we have seen wildlife while driving. Nature's creature seem to really enjoy just chilling by the side of the road, staring at you with the look of "Go ahead, make me run out in front of you and ruin your car look". But hiking, nope they are not out there.

I figure it has to do with our perception of their natural environment. We would like to think that they spend all of their time foraging for food in the deep, dark, depth of the forest. That they are primal and less socialized then us humans. It really couldn't be further from the truth. You see they love roadsides. Human trash and all. They love campgrounds, again human intervention. What they now don't like is to actually forage. Why should they.

If you go to the Deep Creek boat launch out of Ninilchuk, you can see man's greatest contribution to the eagle population of Alaska. Every fish that is brought in in the area; halibut or salmon are cleaned, filleted and handed off to the lucky fisherman. What do they do with the guts, well they throw them on the beach. Yep, imagine numerous fishing charters with a boat full of 4 fisherman. Each fisherman can catch (2) halibut a day. So all those guts get thrown onto the beach for the eagles. Yeah us. We are provided for our national symbol. Oh, and also the seagulls, but no need to worry about they becoming overpopulated . So what happens to the eagle natural instincts to hunt? Let me ask you this, if someone put food in front of you or you had to go find your own, which would you choose? Yep they are not dumb birds.

Okay, I know I got off the subject of the bears. Sorry. I think that the point that I was trying to get to was that the bears pretty much don't want to see us anymore then we want to see them. (Although I really do want to see them, that is why I am going Bear viewing/salmon fishing)

Now I know that in the past my daughter has not allowed me to have bear spray. Something about the fact that I might use it inappropriately on people that are pissing me off. But if I have to go to the expense of having it, shouldn't I at least get to use it. Not on the bears of course, on the people. You all need to offer me your support on this one. I spent good money on this spray. I promise not to use it on anyone that really doesn't deserve it.

Cross my heart.

No comments: